On this page you can find:
- eBMS newsletters
- Statistic tools
eBMS Newsletter 2021
The third Newsletter of eBMS was produced in 2021. Discover all the news from the largest butterfly network in Europe, recent events, how the eBMS network grew recently, a new project supporting eBMS - SPRING, the latest materials of the app and website and more.
Link to the online Newsletter 2021 or download the pdf
Newsletter sections: updates eBMS Network, eBMS tools, Recent events, Spring project and Policy Brief ABLE
ABLE Newsletter 2020 - June
The second Newsletter of the ABLE project was produced in June 2020. After a few months from the last release, with this Newsletter you can see all the news of the ABLE project: the Butterfly Monitoring Meeting in Laufen, how the eBMS network grew recently, a series of interviews with volunteers, as the material the Workshops online for calculating trends and identification Guides, the new ButterflyCount app and more.
Link to the online Newsletter 2020 or download the pdf
ABLE Newsletter 2019
The first Newsletter of the ABLE project was produced in October 2019. In this first release, you can see all the results from one year of work of the ABLE project: how the eBMS network grew in one year, an interview with one of the New Coordinators, access to new monitoring materials for volunteers, and more information about the ABLE results.
Link to the online Newsletter or download the pdf
Workshop 'Calculating butterfly trends, indexes and indicators'
In the ABLE project new tools have been developed to make it easier for regional and national coordinators of Butterfly Monitoring Schemes to calculate indexes and trends as well as build indicators. This workshop focuses on the background of the method and learning how to use the tools.
- Install the latest version of R.
- Install the latest version of RStudio.
- Install Rtools, not a package but some updated tools for windows, from https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
- Then open R, and install:
- Then do: library(devtools) and then:
- devtools::install_github(repo = 'biologicalrecordscentre/BRCindicators')
Go to https://butterfly-monitoring.github.io/bms_workshop/ and find all necessary information, including the full R-code and an explanation.
All presentations (including a transcript) are available at:
- Link video explanation WK1: BMS and count data in R, data wrangling and mapping (Reto Schmucki)
- Link video explanation WK2: Modelling Butterfly Abundance (GAI and rbms package) (Emily Dennis & Reto Schmucki)
rbms (R package)
22 functions to interact and analyse BMS data.
You can find more information of the package in this link: https://retoschmucki.github.io/rbms Also more information in tutorials and web resources in https://butterfly monitoring.github.io/bms_workshop/
- Technical Report EU Butterfly Grassland Species 1990 - 2020
The updated EU Grassland Butterfly Indicator 1990-2020 is the combined population trend of 17 selected grassland species monitored across Europe for a long period of time. The indicator has been calculated from population trends estimated for the whole European region and restricted to the 27 EU Member States. In the last ten years, the indicator shows a linear decline of 32% in the EU27 and 36% in Europe up to 2020 with the last update of the eBMS database.
- Technical Report EU Butterfly Grassland Species 1990 - 2017
The updated EU Butterfly Indicator for Grassland species, 1990-2017. We produced a technical report to describe the indicator, it represents a major update on previous versions, through the incorporation of more and expanded datasets, together with new analysis techniques. It is the first major output of the Assessing ButterfLies in Europe (ABLE) project. This would not have been possible without the effort of all the collaborators, national schemes and volunteers that provide the data. Our appreciation to all of them
The EU Butterfly Grassland Species 1990-2017 indicator is part of the monitoring report on progress towards the SDGs in an EU context — 2019 edition, which can be accessed here. The grassland butterfly indicator contributes to Goal 15: Life on Land.
- Technical Reports ABLE project.
All produced results during the European project ABLE between 2018-2020.
- Executive Summary (pdf in English)
- Report Task 1 - Butterfly Indicators (pdf in English)
- Report Task 2 - Network Development (pdf in English)
- Report Task 3 - Tools (pdf in English)
- ABLE Policy Brief (pdf in English), Resumen (Spanish), Sommario (Italian)