Welcome to the European BMS Transect Walker online
The map on the right summarises the butterfly monitoring activity:
- Blue symbols for transects recorded throughout eBMS website
- Red symbols indicate timed counts recorded by the eBMS mobile app
The website includes more detailed reports of recent activity that you can consult about the species seen, abundances and the place of the collection. The eBMS network has more than 4000 transects in Europe. You cannot see all of them on this map but they will be included soon.
Set up a new transect
We are glad to have you involved in this interesting project and we totally welcome new transects. These data will help us to calculate population trends and determine the status of different butterflies species. Therefore, conservation actions and management directed to butterflies will be more effective as more data as possible we collect.
- Please contact the main coordinator before starting a transect, he/she can help you in deciding your transect and gives you tips. Check the list of schemes and the information given.
These are the simple steps to get you started with entering data on this system.
- Register for an account.
- Go to ‘My Sites’ to set up new transect routes, or review the details of existing ones.
- Go to ‘My Walks’ to enter the data for your transect routes.
- Go to ‘Annual Report’ to review your butterfly data, and to see what’s been entered for other transects.
Download the full guide to see in details step-by-step instructions for the key parts of the system (note that some elements of the guide will change when the site becomes fully live).
You can find this guide in several languages:
Problems or suggestions:
Please send suggestions for improvements and general feedback on using this site to firstname.lastname@example.org